Wednesday, 30 July 2014

One funky hoodie

One funky hoodie. Two funky thumb holes. Three degrees outside. Yep, it is friggin freezing at the moment in Canberra. 3 degrees and it’s almost lunch time. In fact, it only reached 0 degrees at 10am! Minus 5 when I was supposed to meet the lovely Amanda from bimble and pimble for our Sunday run.  Let me point out the obvious - this weather is not at all conducive to run! As a result, my running program has been put on ice until it thaws out. Nevertheless, I made a funky, asymmetrical hoodie in an attempt to brave the outdoors.
 
 
 
My hoodie is based on Papercut’s undercover hood – and yes, I have made one previously (here). I decided to incorporate thumb holes in this one as my hands are frozen icebergs (although here’s a thought - I think I need an all-in-one gloves-hoodie – do you think people might stare if I made sleeves with fingers? I do understand the impracticability of this suggestion but I am still contemplating it. Laugh all you want, but there won’t be any cold air creeping in).
Not sure what's going on with the fabric pulling across my bust -
doesn't look like this usually (maybe a result of my running bra underneath?)
Back to the subject at hand - after studying a few of my other thumb-holed tops, I decided that I could replicate these by lengthening the cuff and creating the holes within the seamline. I really should have taken some progress shots as it would have been way easier to describe – sorry. Hindsight is a wonderful thing + this really was a bit of an experiment.
 
Haha - check out those bright white socks!
I should have coordinated my socks with my shoes. Next time!

So here’s what I did: I had already decided I wanted the lining fabric of my hood to be black, so I made a lining for my pocket in black too to tie it altogether. But more on the pocket later. I halved the cuff pattern and added an additional 2 inches of length on to incorporate the seam allowance and an additional 1 ½ inches of length so that the cuff ended just after my thumb joint. I overlocked the two pieces together so that I had a long rectangle (similar to the original cuff pattern piece but longer in the length direction). I then overlocked the edges, pinned and measured where I wanted my thumb holes. I decided on 3/8 inch from the fold line with a 1 ¾ inch hole. My first attempt I only gave myself 1 inch thumb holes and it just wasn’t enough. Anyway, after measuring it all up, I sewed up the side seams, leaving open the ‘holes’. I ironed the seams, and folded the cuffs with wrong sides facing, aligning  the holes. I then topstitched the holes (which was a tad fiddly as there aint much space). I sewed two lines of top stitching, the first just a few mm from the edge, and the next a few mm from that. I finished it off by reinforcing the bottom edges with a small zig zag stich. Finally, I attached the cuff to the sleeve as per the instructions, rotating the seamline 2 inches towards the top of the sleeve (rotating anticlockwise on the left, clockwise on the right). Voila.
 
Close up of the thumb hole.... wonky top stitching and all.
 

The pocket. This was really simple. I altered the pattern piece, cutting off the extra tringle sections as I wasn’t going to fold those pocket edges under. I then cut a lining piece, sewed the two pieces together (right sides facing), leaving the bottom edge unsewn. Turned the whole thing right side out, ironed, played with my asymmetrical angle on one edge, and top stitched the pocket down. I had originally thought to have two openings, but the pocket gaped like hell, so it top stitched the left hand side down. Asymmetrical goodness. Yeeha.
 
Asymmetrical pocket goodness
 
That’s it really. The rest of the hoodie is as per the instructions. I made this out of a thin merino wool so it is super comfy and snuggly. Now all I need is for the weather to warm up just a smidge so I can face the outdoors.

Oh, and I'm not sure about my choice of photo shoot for these pics. I saw this graffiti storm drain on the way to the gym and thought I'd stop for an impromptu shoot... thought it screamed "in the hood", but on reflection think it depicts "sad and homeless" (or maybe that's my lack of smiling). I'll aim for a happy photo shoot next time.

6 comments:

  1. Love this hoodie and the thumb holes are just perfect. Super duper photos - it is a great location you look very home girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty. I'm glad I look home girl rather than home-less :)

      Delete
  2. This. Is. Awesome.
    Seriously love this hard, Myra! I am totally making some so we can be coordinated running buddies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be coordinated running buddies! Now all we need to do is get you better .... & get my hips fixed.

      Delete
  3. Such a great location for photos! And I love love love your latest hoodie. Those little jags of black totally make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I wasn't sure about my asymmetrical pocket when I first finished it, but it's definitely growing on me. There's definitely some cool graffiti in the 'berra.

      Delete